[Dailydrool] Favorite Basset Name

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 08:05:51 PDT 2011

I am partial to the name Fred, and not just because I have a Fred...I didn't name him.  The first basset I ever "met" was named Fred.  Some of you may have heard this story but, where I went to college, dogs were allowed basically everywhere on campus (including lecture halls!)  The story is that a woman had donated money with the stipulation that the campus be dog-friendly.  There was a basset who lived in one of the frat houses.  He would follow his boy to class and then sun himself on the steps of the building until the class was over.  His name was Fred.  We never had a basset, but my Dad liked them.  Whenever he and my Mom would visit, we'd be on the lookout for Fred to say hi and give him some scratches behind the ears.

Fast-forward about 16 years...I decided to adopt a basset.  I chose a beautiful female that Mid-ABHR was taking in from the OMBR 24.  Her name was Fannie Mae, but I'd decided to change it to Annie.  The night of her arrival, Suzanne Fitch called and said that the foster plans for the male travelling with her had fallen through, and there was nowhere for him to go.  Could I possibly keep him for a few days?  Oh, by the way, his name is Fred...  4 years later, my Fred is sleeping on my living room floor :)

Rose, Annie and Fred