[Dailydrool] A Bright Light

Sandy Gaston sandy at animalnature.com
Sun Aug 7 19:44:17 PDT 2011

Aroooing from Melba Toast,

Dang Clara why are you always woofin at me? I am resting, paws up and having
little sips of champagne in the back cloud room with the girls. WHAT a new
boy you want me to meet. Ok I'm on my way. Yes I heard you, he is waiting.
Well just lookie at you, what a good looking fellow you are, your name is
Buddy well that is one of my favorite names in the world, yep it is. I know
you are puzzled about what happened and why you are here, humm your not; so
woof to me all about this, you have a smile on the snooter, you have a story
to woof, you have been to the buffet and have a big white box with you so
lets waddle over to that big bowl of stars and you can tell all the hounds
your story.  Do I just woof to every one Melba? Yep Buddy the story bowl is
all yours. Well to the shelter I was a stray hound, skinny and tired, with
out a name and a black collar. The humans there gave me a number. I tried to
woof at them listen to me, hear my story. I ran away from an awful life. Why
is it that only some humans hear what we have to say, why do some humans
have the ears and heart to hear us and others don't? The people that I lived
with didn't care about me much, well there was one small human who loved me
and petted me and kissed me but then she went away and that is when my life
really changed. No more bowls every day, no more warm place to sleep, no
more soft hand or soft words. I knew I had to leave so I ran and wondered
for a long time.  I ran in tall grass behind houses in alleys and behinds
bars and stores. I ate out of big cans and bins. Then one day when I
couldn't run any longer some guy picked me up and put me in a cage in a big
truck. He took be to this place they called a dog and cat shelter, it
smelled of fear and pain and some hope. They put me in a cage and gave me a
bowl with some water and food, just sad faces, but soft words and soft hands
then came along this really nice woman, soft words, soft hands and a heart
and ears that could hear me. She pulled me in her lap and said Buddy we are
going to take good care of you. She kissed me softly on my head she said I
would always be a bright light; she petted me for a time then had to leave.
She said as she walked away I'll see you tomorrow Buddy, that is how I know
that was my name and I liked it because she made me feel warmed and loved,
something I hadn't felt for a long time. A doctor looked me over and said I
had to be fixed so I wouldn't be making any more puppies oh and he said I
had a heart fill with worms; now I knew I wasn't pawfact but I also wasn't
broken. Oh well they needed to do what they needed to do and then there was
talk that I was going to go to some place called basset hound rescue. This
lady that knew my name came and took me to this room and said this is were
they are going to fix you and "I'll see you tomorrow Buddy you be a good boy
now." The next thing I knew there were basset angels all around me, I felt
light and free and they told me they were taking me to the Rainbow Bridge. I
saw that nice lady crying over me her tears falling on my fur she kept
saying why did this happen, what happened,  I wanted to comfort her like she
did me when I first came to the shelter but all I could do was watch her.
One of the basset angels told me that she was a real rescue person and I
would live in her heart and the hearts of others that heard my story
forever. I cried all the way to the Bridge for this rescue lady and the ones
who wanted me. Then I saw the gate and then this bright light named Clara
held me with her big paws and woofed don't cry any more. You are with
friends and we will take care of you from now on.  I am special, I am a
bright light in the hearts of many, I am I am I am and that's my story. Well
so many other houndies started woofin about their stories and some were like
mine, some worse, some better and now I know why all this happened. We are
all bright lights, hounds and rescue humans, we are the stars in the night
sky for humankind to hold in their hearts and look up to. We are all love.