[Dailydrool] does he shut down?

sfwill at aol.com sfwill at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 04:40:53 PDT 2011

i need help.  i never go away (or hardly ever) so gus is used to me being with him every night after work and all weekend.  this past saturday i left for an evening on cape cod for my birthday.  i walked out the door at 1p saturday and came home at 5:30 sunday afternoon.  a friend of mine (who gus loves but does not see often) stayed here with gus.  while i was gone, gus did not eat one morsel of food and hardly drank water, not enough water was drank to even replenish the bowl.
when i walked in, i got a 5 minute happy dance and then he proceeded to eat, eat, eat and then asked for more.  he's normally a very cuddly, snuggly guy but last night, once i unpacked and settled on the couch, he was EXTREMELY cuddly and snuggly, from kises to downright lovesick stares at me while his head is laying across my chest.  lol  so everything's back to normal around here.
BUT i have been planning to get away for 4 days this thursday as my "summer vacation".  my neighbor, who he adores and who lets him out everyday and takes him for walks, etc, will stay overnight here thursday.  the next 2 nights i had planned on having someone who i know well, and who adores gus (she's a co-worker and sees him when i bring in into the office for a day) stay overnight fri and saturday.  BUT now i'm leery of leaving him for fear he won't eat or drink.
my plans have been in the works for some time; obviously, if i could take him with me i would.  should i cancel the plans?  nothing, or no one is more important to me than this guy, so if i have to cance,l i will.  but i thought i'd write to our drool family for any suggestions before i do.
thanks in advance,
susan, loving slave to gus
gus-so i'm lovesick, so what?