[Dailydrool] getting big bassets up on stuff

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 25 15:30:48 PDT 2011

Hi all, clueless momPerson here,

As Anita pointed out recently I've learned a lot since being charmed by my
Snoopy at the dog pound last January and coming home with an adorable 5 year old
basset.  Never having had one before and having done NO research on the breed I
was, literally, clueless.  And Snoopy couldn't get up on stuff.

We spent a fortune on ramps for the car and the house (huge waste of money like
Anita said).  Want one?  Or several?  You pay shipping ... they take up too much
room and the dog needs clearance around it and they won't use it to go down.
And jumping down is where they'll get hurt.

Finally Snoopy showed us he can use the ottoman to get up on the sofa and he
DOES use it to get back down.  And the reading chair is the same story.  I
bought my daughter one for her room as a stool to put shoes on and she put it
beside her bed and next thing we knew Snoopy was up there.  Now my other
daughter has one and I have one too in my bedroom.  Be sure to get a square or
rectangular one.  We found them at target for $20 ... just fill it up with books
or shoes so it doesn't tip over and Snoopy takes it from there.

Also search the archives for the "basset lift" which Bev went to a lot of time
and trouble to describe.  It saved Snoopy one night when he slipped his lead and
got lost and some neighbors found him and were literally laying on him on the
sidewalk to keep him safe and hoping I'd show up.  I was able to "basset lift"
him to secure him and put him in the car (thank D-g and thank Bev for saving my
baby).

Good luck,
Dale