[Dailydrool] My Maestro

Lyle Cogen lyle at lylecogen.com
Fri Aug 26 07:41:43 PDT 2011

"MARKING TIME WITH MY MAESTRO"

How can I take it in

and hold onto it forever

remember each moment?

I know they will pass

and I will forget

the warmth of his belly when he wakes up in the morning

the warmth of the crux of his neck just under his beautiful ear

soft and warm and oh so comfortable

before or after a shower

scented or not.

How can I take it in

So I can remember

So I can recall

the ever so slight way in which he would speak

that little grunt

that little sound

It always answered me, and I answered it.

Sweet sleeping man over there on your bed

Lifting your eyelids to look at me

Until they are so so heavy

then you fall asleep.

**Maestro made his journey to the bridge on May 1, 2011.  Although I wonder
if he was crying too, I know that if he was, it wasn't for long because he
was met and ushered across e by the many gazillion beloved hounds who
journeyed before he ever got there.  I received so many notes of condolences
and encouragement from droolers.  Thank you all so much.

And by the way, I will never forget those things in this poem.  Writing this
was my exercise to remember each sensory experience Šand just in case, I
have preserved his monkey in a plastic bag. :)

Lyle Cogen