[Dailydrool] Millie's glaucoma update

Karen Williams bazadaba at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 10:10:49 PDT 2011

Well, the glaucoma won the battle on her left eye and she has lost all sight in it.  The drops we were using were unable to keep the pressure down any longer so we faced the decision of what to do about her eye.  Our options were removal, gentamicin injection or black ball.  After reading all the wonderful emails from the drool family on how they had success with the injection, we decided to go with that method.  Millie went in on Thursday for her injection.  So far it has been a success.  The pressure is down and the swelling is slowing going down.  While the ophthalmologist warned me that sometimes they need to have it done again (sometimes in a few months, other times in several years) I think this was the way to go.  The other options are still available to us if this doesn't work out.

We are keeping a very close watch on her right eye for any symptoms of glaucoma and are treating it with drops designed to hold off the effects of the glaucoma as long as possible. The ophthalmologist indicated her right eye would probably succumb to the glaucoma eventually but we are fighting it with everything we can.

Thanks to everyone who wrote me with their comments and stories and suggested I get her to the ophthalmologist immediately.  I am so grateful to all of you.

One really big lesson learned from this is if anything is going on with your basset's eyes.  Run, don't walk directly to an ophthalmologist.  They just might save their sight.

Karen and Millie, Elwood & Beatrix
Check out my foster Bessie at Homeward Bound Animal Rescue
Please don't breed or buy while in shelters they die