[Dailydrool] Favorite Names

Ron Buries rburies at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 22:02:44 PDT 2011

My first basset was a rescue when the idea of rescue probably was in it's infancy. My daughter called home from school to tell me that a man driving a pick up had dumped  a dog out in front of school and drove off. The dog ran onto the school grounds,
(his mamma didn't raise no dummies) and was promptly corralled by the custodian. My daughter pleaded with me to let her bring this mutt home because the custodian was going to call animal control to pick him up. After 20 minutes  of pleading/begging etc I caved in and said she could bring the dog home, but she would have 3 DAYS TO GET RID IF HIM! Well I got home from work the next morning and there was this long skinny long eared basset hound in my back yard playing with the kids before school. He was a red and white basset. He introduced himself to me barking groaning,moaning and doing the happy dance when he saw me. In two hours he had me in his paw right where he wanted me. He had no identification, no collar ,nothing, so we started working on a name that would fit. We noticed right off  that he still had all his manly parts and as he walked away, well it was quite a sight. The family wanted to name him after some base ball gear. I wasn't impressed with their choice and one day while he and I were sitting out side in the patio I looked down and said hey how does Bass sound ? He looked up at me,wagged his tail and that was it. So Bass it was. Bass and I were joined at the hip. He was the greatest dog I ever had.He was my heart dog. I guess it may be time for me to write some Bass stories. There were many. Bass. That name still Brings up warm memories. I still miss him after after 28 years..

Ron Barney's slave

O.K. DAD what am I chopped liver-Barney