[Dailydrool] Mice

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 07:30:32 PST 2011

I will never forget the day our Belvedere chased a dead mouse. Evidently it had expired under our sideboard, and it must have been just within reach, because suddenly Bel had something in his mouth. For once, when I asked him to drop it, he did. But not for long. As soon as I saw what it was, he swallowed it whole.

Since we had had the exterminator in and he had left poison packets all around, out of reach of the hounds, I knew we were in trouble, so I gave Bel the dreaded peroxide. Soon the whole mouse came up again. Yuck! But our boy was safe.

That's the last time anything poisonous comes into this house. The mice may play merrily in the cellar and attic, as long as they don't invade our living space. But if anyone knows of a really effective mouse deterrent that will not poison the hounds, I'm open to it. I haven't seen a mouse in quite a while, but I know they are probably still hiding away in the cellar and attic, and it doesn't make me particularly happy.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets.