[Dailydrool] South Fork Kennels

Addy Dawes addydawes at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:11:57 PST 2011

Patti,

So good to hear that Daisy (Midnight) is doing so well now.  The behavior
you describe is so typical of most of the dogs that came from this rescue
intake.  Several of the poor pups that we rescued that day are still in
foster homes (some are at Daphneyland) as they are still too scared and
damaged to be adoptable.  Can't believe that the two year anniversary of
that rescue is coming up (Dec 18).

You are correct that we have been told that South Fork is still actually
breeding puppies... We don't think they EVER stopped.  They hid dogs from
us when they surrendered their stock in 2009.  Thankfully, we gave those 61
dogs we did rescue a chance at a new life, but for Wanda and Greg Rogers it
was probably a great financial burden off their shoulders in food bills.
The property itself was foreclosed on and Wanda and Greg have vacated the
house and are not supposed to be using the kennel buildings.  They are now
living in a trailer on adjacent property.  We have reliable information
that they have around 30 dogs still up there (probably a mix of some
bassets and some cavaliers).  Wanda is keeping them in the barn and maybe
in the kennels, bringing the pregnant bitches into the trailer to give
birth and then, when the pups are 6 weeks old, sending mom back to the barn
and sending the pups down to her daughter/grand-daughter's house to be
sold.  They are operating under the name 'Bassets by Ruby', out of a home
in Anderson.  They sell on the internet and Greg is still the guy who does
the phone calls and email and transports the dogs when they are sold.

Problem with the South Fork property is that it is at least 15 miles off
the main highway, down dirt roads way into the countryside.  It's a heck of
a trek.  We certainly would not encourage you to go up there.  Wanda is a
very believable woman, and if you came across her, she would probably tell
you that she can't live without a few dogs around and that she only has 5
dogs and is no longer breeding... the bulk of the dogs will be hidden in
the barn and there is no way you would see them.  You could plead ignorance
and just want to see the kennels where your dog was born, but Greg is the
guy who would not be very pleasant if you came across him.  He was not
there the day we came to take the dogs, but I've had phone conversations
with him.  Not nice.

I believe Animal Control have visited Wanda in the past.  We are told that
she hides dogs in bedrooms and outbuildings when they come by and tells
them that the dogs outside belong to a neighbor... all sorts of stories and
AC don't have any choice but to believe her.  Unfortunately, the county she
lives in does not have much interest in stopping her breeding.  Tehama
County is a puppy mill capital here in northern CA (not on the scale of
other states, but plenty of back yard breeders out there..).

If you do go up, please take great care.  It is very isolated.  Some of her
neighbors are equally disgusted with how she treats the poor dogs she has,
but I believe the property she has the trailer on may belong to one of her
children. So you can't trust anyone you meet.  Please remember that
breeding these dogs is their source of income (presumably in addition to
the benefits they must draw...and the income from fostering children as
well... can you believe that the authorities still allow them to do this)
and they will protect their livelihood every way they can.

To read our latest update please visit
http://www.ggbassetrescue.org/info/display?PageID=7918

Best wishes,

Addy