[Dailydrool] A book for word & basset lovers

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 09:47:14 PST 2011

My sister-in-law comes up with some amazing gifts. This year, for Christmas, she gave me a book called DOG THE WAG, by Mike Darton, subtitled "Professor Marvin's Dogged Pursuit of Canine Words & Phrases." Each word or phrase described in the book has something to do with dogs, whether it's "whine" or "canary islands." After giving the meaning of the word, the author provides the origins and history of the word, then a commentary.

Marvin, of course, is the basset who is humorously pictured in the book and makes comments on the words that are less than complimentary towards dogs. Mike Darton certainly knows his bassets, though Marvin belongs to someone else. Speaking of dog training (under "Doberman"), the author speaks of Marvin's ability to respond to instructions. Marvin's interperts Mike as saying: "Do nothing different from what you are doing," "Make yourself even more comforrtable, if you can find a way of doing so," and "Please ignore everything I say." Can we relate, Droolers?

Marvin comes from Kent, England, so I was wondering if he's related to Morse. They certainly seem to have similar personalities.

Anyway, if you are a word lover who also loves bassets, this is the perfect book for you. I haven't read it all, but the parts I have picked through have been very entertaining.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets