[Dailydrool] Ellie's Christmas eve-eve

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 29 17:29:41 PST 2011

Last Friday (Christmas eve-eve), we were having my husband's family
for a fancy Christmas dinner and gift exchange. We were in the living
room when we heard a rustle in the kitchen, and I immediately went to
check on Ellie, #1 food thief. I went into the kitchen and saw the
packaging on the floor. Oh, no! Ellie ate Hailey's chewable pain
pills. The max dose is 1 1/4 pills; Ellie ate 10. It was 6:00, the
vet had closed. I called the 24-hour emergency vet. This place has an
outstanding reputation and experts in every field but is known to be
expensive. They said to bring Ellie in. I asked if I could give her
hydrogen peroxide and try to make her vomit; the vet gave me the
dosage but said it doesn't always work; it didn't.

When I got to the vet, they got the info about the pills she'd eaten
and took her in back. After lots of paperwork and waiting awhile, I
told them I had a house full of dinner guests and wanted to leave her
and return later. They wanted me to speak to the vet, so they moved
me to an exam room. I waited and waited. I finally flagged down a
tech, and said I had to leave and would give them my credit card
info. She said she'd get info for me. I waited. I was about to go to
reception when she returned and said she was getting an estimate from
the doctor.

Sit down for this. The estimate was $1200-1800! I thought the tech
was talking to someone behind me. When I realized that she was
talking to me, I told her that was out of the question; I couldn't
afford it; I just wanted them to make Ellie vomit, then I'd pick her
up. I asked if I could change my mind and move her elsewhere; she
said no, treatment had begun - injection, activated charcoal to stop
absorption, anti-nausea medication, IV to push fluids. The tech
explained that they wanted to do blood work, this test, that test. I
said no blood work, no tests, only treatment. I had to leave an $800
deposit. Got home in time for a quick bite of dinner.

The vet called about an hour and a half after I left Ellie. Said they
gave her an injection and she vomited; didn't see the pills but they
could have dissolved. She said that I should get blood work done at
my vet in 2-3 days to see if there was kidney damage. The bill was
$531. Ellie came home with three meds, which are a real challenge:
she needs to take one capsule daily without food and one large,
chalky tablet three times a day without food, and one tablet twice a
day with food. Ellie has sharp teeth; I have to cheat and put
something around the large pill. And Ellie wet the bed that night.
Our bed.  She seems fine now.

Sabrina, Ellie, Buddy, and Hailey