[Dailydrool] Sad news

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:49:39 PST 2011

BaRCSE reached another milestone today but it wasn't one that we can cheer
about. We rescued a senior bonded pair, Maggie and Moe, two years ago. They
actually were BaRCSE first rescue. We made the decision that Maggie &
Moe had to stay together no matter what and, consequently, they became
permanent fosters. It's really hard to consider
Maggie and Moe foster dogs because the two families who have hosted them
for the past two years love this pair just as much as they love their own
hounds. Moe was diagnosed with a form of blood cancer earlier this year and
lost his battle today. We're all so sad for Maggie and are kind of worried
about her and how she'll do without him. I know the family who has her will
lavish her with lots of love and attention and do everything they can to
make her feel better.

BaRCSE picked up a 14 year old houndette from a shelter today. Her foster
mom and I went to visit her yesterday and she told us in no uncertain terms
that the accommodations were NOT what she was used to and we needed to get
her out of there ASAP. There was a fair amount of red tape to go through
because BaRCSE had never worked with that shelter before but she's home now
and will be well loved by her foster family. Thank goodness for folks with
a soft spot for seniors!

Every one's "oh my doG" moments with your hounds counter cruising and trash
trolling has made me laugh out loud! We hadn't had a hound for almost 27
years when Jersey came to us and we had forgotten a few things. Our first
"oh my doG" moment came the first time I left Jersey alone with our old
trash can....one that didn't have a cover on it! Well, I came home to trash
from one end of the house to the other! Coffee grounds, egg shells, nasty
gross trash everywhere! What a mess! Of course, we didn't expect her to
stay out of the trash. We went and bought a basset proof trash can! Yes,
she started our training almost at minute one! I was reminded about counter
cruising the hard way when she got a whole loaf of oat nut bread off the
counter that ultimately gave her terrible gastritis that required an
expensive vet visit, meds and several days of chicken and rice before she
got back to normal. I don't think she really suffered too much by being
forced to eat her bland diet for a few days. She actually seemed quite
pleased with it! It's somehow reassuring to hear such similar stories from
other hound slaves. We've been fortunate and have only had one
hound actually get zapped when they chewed an electrical cord. Our little
foster girl Angel did that and scared us as badly as she scared herself.
She was very lucky and the only thing that got really hurt was the lamp
that had to be thrown out. I'll bet that she never chews on an electrical
cord again though! Ginger came to us originally because she chewed and
destroyed the computer cords at her previous foster home. Suzy was a puppy
then and we figured we were puppy proofed and there wasn't much left that
Ginger could get into. Well, she certainly proved us wrong! Ginger is our
hound who made me become a firm believer in crating your hound when you
aren't there to supervise! This girl is a shredder....quilt patterns,
toilet paper, mail that was up on the table....anything paper that she can
get her teeth on. She's five now and she still gets into trouble if I leave
her out of her crate when I'm gone. I have a feeling that Ginger will be
crated even when she's an old, old lady! So anyway, keep the stories coming
so the rest of us don't feel like we're the only ones who live with these
misbehaved monsters called basset hounds!

The Houndettes are slinging heart healing and get well drool to all in
need. I'm praying that we start 2012 on a much happier note than we're
ending 2011 with.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger