[Dailydrool] Lucas had emergency surgery

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 13:29:16 PST 2011

Hi all,

Lucas has been at the vet the last 2 days, having gone there originally
yesterday morning thinking he was in bloat.

X-rays showed he was not, but he had a lot of gas and was throwing up.
Diagnosed with pancreatitis later in the day, I brought him home last night
to rest, with instructions to take him back this morning for a check..  He
threw up 2x last night and there was aluminum foil in one of them.  He threw
up again at the vet today,  they started to do a barium x-ray series.  After
4 hours, most of it is still in his tummy, with a trickle going into his
intestines.   X-rays are showing no sign of a blockage, but something is
going on.

So the option was surgery today.  He is through it, and while his temp is a
bit low, the rest of vitals are good and they have him on a warming bed.

 Three things are going on, the barium did not move very well though and
they found his stomach did partially torsion,  they got it all set properly
and tacked it.

He has pancreatitis and a fair amount of "junk" was removed from his
stomach. He will be on low fat, high fiber food for his life since they are
prone to getting it again once they get it the first time. (at least that is
what I was told)   They did have to slice into the stomach a little.

And lastly,  the pyloric valve, which opens and closes to let food go from
the stomach to the small intestine was not working properly.   He had to do
a repair on it, forget what it was called.  He did say that problem is not
abnormal, and he sees it most commonly in toy breed dogs.   Lucas by no
means is a toy breed, but neither is he a full basset.  I think he is basset
and walker hound myself...maybe with a toy mix in there???

So,  he is coming home tonight, with the knowledge the ER vet is only 10
minutes from me. And I will take him back in the morning.  He is going to be
a be drugged and still under the effects of the anesthesia, but I would
rather keep an eye on him here than the ER.

Thank you everyone who has him in their prayers and drool list.   Think we
can breathe a little easier now that he is through this and start sending
drool back out to those who might have more need.

Wen  (who is getting more grey each minute)   and the Bounders (who want
steak to be able to help out more)

 <http://www.seniorhoundsabound.org/> www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us
out!

 <http://www.bassetshop.com/> www.bassetshop.com          shop online and