[Dailydrool] Old lady seeks new dog

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 09:51:59 PST 2011

It's been about a year since my parents' Jack Russell Terror, Daisy,
died. My mother's sort of thinking about getting another dog. At the
moment she's still ambivalent about it, but the longer these
neighborhood burglaries go on...... She also misses the companionship
of a dog and the way they can help a person make friends in the
neighborhood. The goal is to find an older dog (eight or over) with
excellent manners and housetraining already in place because my
mother's good at maintaining what she has but isn't good at starting
it or improving on it.

My mother wants a small dog, "a dog I can pick up if I have to."
She's in love with her audiologist's Yorkies, who get a lot of
attention and activity every day. I've already told her I don't think
she should be bending over to pick up a dog with her balance. But I
believe what she's really saying is that she wants a dog she has a
chance at controlling, especially when she has to open the front
door. I've already given her my Obedience School speech and told her
that the best approach is to leash the dog, not try to pick up it up
while it's struggling to get at whoever's on the other side of the
door. I'm not sure if my wisdom has fallen on deaf ears or if she's
heard me.

My sister, husband, and I all want to avoid her getting another
Daisy. That dog was simply awful. The sad thing is that Daisy could
have been a great dog if she'd been with someone whose activity level
better matched hers and if she'd had some training. She would have
been terrific at agility, but my mother wasn't interested. I'm
actually quite afraid of my mother getting another terrier because it
could well become mine to care for someday. I just can't live with
terrier intensity for more than a few hours at a stretch, and at some
point I'd like to have more pet rats.

I've given my mother some dog breed books and suggestions to visit
various rescue web sites, regardless of their geographic location,
because so many of them have helpful pages that tell you what it's
really like to live with a certain breed--the good, the bad, and the
downright ugly. The AKC web site, on the other hand, lists only a
breed's positives, so you end up thinking almost any breed will be a
good fit. The web site says nothing about a basset's drool, hound
odor, shedding, and inclination toward glaucoma, back problems, etc.
So that always makes me wonder what isn't the AKC web site saying
about the other breeds?

I'd really appreciate hearing thoughts from Droolers about what breed
or breed mixes might be suitable for a 70-plus-year-old woman who has
the activity level of a slug (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) and
probably won't become a whole lot more active with a dog in the
house. I'm open to any size breed because I remember something Bev
wrote (was it Bev??) a couple years ago about how large dogs can come
in handy when you've fallen in the middle of the floor and need
something to steady yourself on when getting back up again.

My mother's a strong believer in getting pre-owned dogs from a
shelter or rescue, so don't worry about where this hypothetical dog
might come from. I'm urging her to go with a rescue that uses foster
homes, however, so she'll have the best idea possible of what the
dog's personality, energy level, and house manners are like. Because
this discussion will most likely not involve bassets, please e-mail
me off-list with any suggestions you might have.

But to make this somewhat basset related, ever since Daisy died, our
Elsinore and young Charlie have gone over to my mother's house to
spend the day with her at least two days a week. She really enjoys
them. They make her laugh and keep her busy (especially Charlie!),
and she loves the way they'll cuddle with her on the bed when she
naps. But despite all that, she's adamant that she doesn't want a
basset of her own. I really don't understand why not, but because
she's as stubborn as a basset, I know it's useless to try to persuade
her.

Elizabeth