[Dailydrool] CARDIOMYOPATHY VS HEART MURMURS

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Feb 10 08:26:34 PST 2011

Caridomyopathy is translated as "heart weakness".  Dilated cardiomyopathy is
the most common form, with most patients having an enlarged heart with thin
walls which reduces the heart function.  Cardiomyopathy may lead to
congestive heart failure in which the heart is not able pump the blood
adequately.  When this happends, blood pools in vital organs, causing
swelling and the patient becomes weak, fatigued and has difficulty
breathing.  Cardiomyopathy may also lead to arrhythmias.  An undetected
arrhythmia is deadly.  They dog can have an arrhythmia in their sleep and
the heart cannot "reset" itself and the dog dies within a couple of minutes.
There are some medications that can help with cardiomyopathy but not all
dogs can tolerate them.  We had a young bitch (age 5) who suddenly developed
cardiomyopathy, we got her on the medication but she didn't tolerate it and
became deathly ill.  When we got the drug purged from her system, she was
okay for a month or so.  Then one day, she was sleeping on the patio in the
sun . and never woke up.  She had an arrhythmia while sleeping and died.

Heart murmurs are an entirely different thing.  The vast majority of heart
murmurs are a result of leaky heart valve.  Because the valve doesn't close
properly, the heart is never able to completely clear that chamber of the
heart.  There is medication that can help the heart work more efficiently.

Sandi Wittenberg
Red Bay Bassets