[Dailydrool] Rolph's Gotcha Day

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 14:57:43 PST 2011

Tomorrow, or maybe today (17th) depending on when the digest gets sent out, is Rolph's fourth Gotcha Day.
It does not seem possible that it was four years ago I went off to find a senior cross breed from a shelter and came home with a bedraggled, smelly, two-year-old, long-haired basset hound.
I have never known a dog like him, I doubt I'll ever know another. He is naughty, wilful, stubborn, very clever, scheming, loyal, loving, protective, smart, funny and the most wonderful dog anyone could ever want - apart from those who put him in the shelter, that is!
In those four years he has matured from a wild-dog puppy (he had been in the shelter so long he hadn't finished his puppyhood) to a mellow grump. He still enjoys stealing food, opening cupboards, raiding the fridge, rummaging through guests' handbags for sweets and tissues and stealing socks. He still chooses whether or not to come when I call and cannot be trusted off lead unless we're in a secure area.
Later this year he will be seven. A senior! His glossy black coat is not as dark as it was and a few grey hairs have appeared around his chin and smudging the edges where his black markings meet the white ones. But he still has that twinkle in his eye and every now and then, when he is clearly feeling very content and loved, I know he remembers that life hasn't always been this good - even if the bad bit was a long time ago.
So happy Gotcha Day Rolph. You have taught me a lot and thanks to you, I found the Drool and learned how best to help you in those difficult first months. Now we can mellow out together.
Sally, with Rolph and Clara (I'll be a senior this year too), UK