[Dailydrool] Westminster Bassets and "Nicole" the Basset

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 18:00:28 PST 2011

Three Basset Hounds have taken Group 1 in the Hound Group in the history of the Westminster Kennel Club

2000: CH Moonbeam's Astronomer - and what a looker he was! I remember standing in my living room screaming with joy when he took that win!
1992: Ch Lil' Creek Briarcrest Top Gun
1960: Ch The Ring's Banshee

None have ever taken BIS at Westminster.

No Basset has taken Group 1 or BIS at the AKC National Invitational (Eukanuba) so far.

These results are from the official results published by the Westminster Kennel Club and by the American Kennel club for Eukanuba.

RE: Nicole (CH. Castlehill's Never Too Rich)

Nicole is owned and shown by Sarah Broom, a Junior Handler from Chehalis, WA, who qualified for Westminster for the 2nd year in a row - this is a real feather in her cap, as it required that she win 10 wins in Junior Handling within a year - and the competition here in the Pacific Northwest is really tough in Juniors. Sarah "ages out" of Juniors in March, but has already qualified for Eukanuba for next year, and will be able to show there since she qualified while still "in age".

Nicole was bred by Jim and Sharon Dok of Castlehill Bassets, and is a lovely bitch. Sarah and I have traveled to shows together for about five years, and I'm thrilled that she considers me her "adopted aunt".

Nicole gets a lot of attention because she's a "sitter upper" Basset who often sits on her butt straight up. She got this honestly from her grandfather, CH. Abbyroad Castlehill's St Patrick, who was still sitting up shortly before his death at age about 14 last year. He was a wonderful Basset Hound, in the ring and most importantly in the Dok's home. And his offspring continue to bring many people pleasure.

I'm not on the Drool actively - but I saw some questions about Bassets at Westminster and Nicole, and thought I'd pop in to answer them. If anyone wants to reach me, feel free to email directly at: sylviemcgee at comcast.net .