[Dailydrool] True Story

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 06:28:56 PST 2011

I do not do rescue altho I certainly am a supporter of it, and believe in
it, and sold my (one and ever only litter of) puppies with a clause that
they come back home FIRST, and my puppies left chipped to me so that if they
end up in a shelter or rescue they can come home.
That said I know the antagonism that can happen between purebred dog
breeders of merit and rescues, who sometimes feel purebred dog breeders are
the biggest offenders, and sometimes, that is correct, but not usually. (In
my opinion so don't bother to write and tell me what a jerk I am I am
immune.)
Anyway so I am at the International Kennel Club dog show, one of the very
few benched shows in the US and with a high Rescue representation-- booths
for Shar-peis, and Border Collies, Labs, Rotties, etc etc. The IKC show
definitely supports rescue. GABR there at the Basset bench, photo spread and
all.

And I am walking along the benches and there are two women behind and they
are talking about another breed, not Bassets, but one that is becoming
increasingly popular, unfortunately, because it is a breed that can easily
be ruined into having mega-health problems.
And one says to the other
"No no no no. You don't want a rescue dog! Those dogs are in rescue because
they have terrible problems, health problems and awful temperaments. Someone
had them and couldn't deal with them because they're bad dogs, and that's
what ends up in rescue. So you are just getting a dog with major problems--
biters and dogs that run away that no one wants because of that."

And all my brain fuses fused together. Marlene come to me now in my hour of
need..... and I stoped dead so they stopped, and I turned around and I said

"That is so wrong. That is so very very wrong. That is totally incorrect
information. Dogs in rescue are there because no one wants them, no one took
care of them. Because someone lost a job, went into the army, had to move,
went bankrupt, or was abusive-- tied the dog up and didn't feed it, had it
in a puppy mill, kept it outside, didn't train it, didn't care about,
treated it like a chair. Perfectly good, sound, happy, loving dogs left with
nothing, that's what ends up in rescue.
Don't let a REAL rescue person hear what you just said: you won't make it to
your car alive." and I stomped off, expected any moment for the rest of the
day to have security come and find me for threatening someone...LOL.
But it INFURIATED me. That people still believe that.  The dog loving public
with people guiding it in the wrong direction. Honest to pete. As my Mother
would say in moments of extreme irritation.

MomPerson, long live the rescues.