[Dailydrool] Life without Louie

Susan Nickle snickle717 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 10:24:34 PST 2011

First of all, a heartfelt thank you to everyone who expressed condolences on the loss of our Louie a few weeks ago; your kind thoughts were so very much appreciated. I was amazed and touched  at the array of messages, cards, ecards and pics I received, each one personal and unique. Many of you, as I requested, remembered Louie with food, some even playing His Game of hiding 5 treats. That really warmed my heart and made me smile. I have tried to thank everyone privately; if I missed anyone, please accept my apologies and know that your thoughts were very much appreciated.

It was 4 weeks ago today that Louie went to the Bridge and, while it is a slow process, I seem to be progressing along in my grief. The first few days all I wanted to do was bury my face in his bed, blanket or sweater trying to smell what he smelled like. For a guy who could be so stinky sometimes, his hound odor faded way too fast and I could barely pick it up off his belongings. I don't feel quite as raw as I did that first week and I no longer frequently burst into uncontrollable sobs. I have gradually been able to put away most of his worldly possessions like his toys and his beds. I think the only thing I've thrown our were his nail clippers which I did a few hours after he died. He would have wanted me to do that! In fact, he would have approved if I had thrown those things out 5 years ago! I'm still deeply feeling the loss of his presence around the house, of getting the sense at his meal times that there's 'something' I need to be doing and then
 looking at the clock and realizing that it's his dinner time or whatever. In some ways this deeper loss is more difficult than the initial pain the first few days. It always amazes me how much a human being can love an animal. I just cannot believe 13 1/2 years went by so quickly.

Hug and condolences to all those who have recently lost a houndie. Even though I haven't been able to personally send condolences lately, please know I've been thinking of you and can relate to what you're going through.

Sue and Louie (6/5/97-1/31/11)