[Dailydrool] skunks

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:08:36 PST 2011

Are one of the main vectors of rabies. I agree a call to Animal Control is
in order or, if they won't help--and they may not-- call a critter remover.
Everyplace has someone who gets rid of raccoons, skunks, etc. Your Vet may
have a number or Animal Control or a Shelter.
Animal Control is often under the auspices of the Cops, and usually they do
dogs and cats and won't mess with wild animals, at least not around here.
Once when I had small children, a small yard and a tied up Basset (yes I
walked him, too) we had a sick skunk on the sidewalk outside our townhome.
We lived directly across the street from an elementary school and there was
no question that the skunk was seriously ill, seizuring and falling and
staggering. I called the cops and they said, basically, you have to be
kidding. We aren't touching it.
That time I was outraged. Usually I like Cops but this enraged me, that
these schoolchildren were going to be coming home and walking past this
probably rabid skunk.I raised hell. I screamed and yelled and threatened and
finally they came out. They thought I was funny until they saw the raccoon
seizuring and flopping around. Then they got worried. They sent everyone
inside and shot it. Despite my admonition not to shoot it in the head, of
course they did. Idiots. Then they wrapped it in plastic and took it away.
It never blew it's scent, even when it died. I still think it was rabid.
Luckily our hound was inside during all this. Watching out the back window.
He never said a word until the gun went off.

MomPerson to Nigel, Conley, Llewis and Cooper and I don't like Raccoons,
either.