[Dailydrool] 2 senior bassets in Longview, Washington need help

queenb534 at aol.com queenb534 at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 21:18:36 PST 2011

Blaze (10 years old but not from Looziana Basset Rescue) and Sugar (8 years old and from Looziana Basset Rescue) are possibly being left behind when their current owner moves to Germany in less than two weeks.  Ashely, the adopter, called me two days ago and said that taking them with her to Germany would be too traumatic.  She said that she did not think that they could handle the 10 hour plane flight. I told her that abandoning them would be far more traumatic.  I also asked her why she had waited until the last minute to contact me.  She said that she might leave them with her petsitter. She did not indicate that she would be moving back to the US anytime in the future.  She said that she now has two young children and Blaze doesn't really like kids.  I have asked her to return Sugar to me.  Our contract requires this and, luckily, I am in possession of her signed contract from 2004.  She now says that she is taking the dogs with her.  I really don't believe her, though.  She just wants me to leave her alone.  I have told her that I am not going to leave her alone and I am now asking for copies of the paperwork showing that she is taking Sugar with her - an international health certificate.  My husband is LBR's lawyer so he is advising me.
Bottom line....anyone in the Washington area have any suggestions for these two dogs?  They can be separated.  I am happy to take Sugar back but if she can be placed in Washington, that would be easier.  This is all if Ashley doesn't take them with her and if she agrees to give them up.
Lots of ifs.....just wanted to see if there is someone in the area that might be able to help me. It is obvious that she no longer wants these two bassets. She has replaced them with her two children.
Thanks, Leslie

Leslie A. Wallace
Looziana Basset Rescue, Inc.
www.bayoubassets.petfinder.org