[Dailydrool] What to do with a basset

bonnie bowman chelseaxmolli at tx.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 13:49:52 PST 2011

Happy New Year to all of you!

I am a newbie with my  a small sized one year old basset, Reba Roo, whom I got from my sister over Thanksgiving.  We're taking some training classes to learn better communication.  At home she's learned to get along with the 3 other dogs and for one week we have had no house puddles!  She also goes to doggie day camp once or twice a week so that the rest of us can catch up on some much needed quiet time!  I like to think these days are also helping cut down the amount of chewing on non-food items in the house.  But then, a more effective rearrangement of the living space to limit the available chew items available on various table tops is evolving...  What a lifestyle change these "sweet" creatures can bring!

With most of my other dogs, after a basic manners class, we took a foundation and beginners agility class because I think it helps set much of the training and helps them learn to watch me and take direction when they are not next to me.  (One went on to compete - until he discovered wet dog and his love of retrieving in water.)  However, I don't really think that the basset is built for agility.  But, maybe I should focus on only the tunnel based games of the sport.  She loves water - even swims a bit - but wondering if her ear-style should keep this activity limited.  I'm also wondering that if the nose of these dogs is second only to a bloodhound, maybe we ought to find something along that line...   So just curious what those of you who do get out and involved in some sport or activity with your bassets have found to be the most successful.

Bonnie and Reba Roo  (was Miley, then Emma Lee, but Reba Roo fits her looks and personality so this is her furever name)