[Dailydrool] Young Charlie's New Year's Day afternoon

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Jan 5 08:43:51 PST 2011

On New Year's Day I learned that our veterinary chiropractor, Dr.
Jim, was making a house call near us that afternoon, and Lena, the
woman who asked him to come to adjust her dog, was opening up her
home for anyone else who wanted to bring in a pet for a spinal
adjustment. This wasn't an entirely altruistic move, since the more
pets Dr. Jim sees during a vet, the more he discounts his $95 fee.

I decided to take young Charlie for an adjustment because Ken and I
had noticed he seemed to have developed a hiccup in his gait with his
rear legs. The last time he'd been adjusted was about six months ago,
and Dr. Jim had really had to work on him to get his alignment
straightened out. Charlie was very unhappy while this was going on,
getting himself more and more worked up and less and less
cooperative. Then he began turning his head and snapping at Dr Jim,
so I had to muzzle him for the first time. This went over even less
well with Charlie than the adjustment itself. Dr. Jim finally got him
all straightened out, but Charlie really made him work for it.

When he was done, Dr. Jim spoke sternly to me about "letting" Charlie
jump on and off our bed with those deformed, wonky front legs and
feet of his. I hadn't been letting Charlie do this, but I hadn't been
terribly active about preventing what had turned into an almost daily
ritual morning act of naughtiness. So out came the puppy gates, and
after several months, Charlie had moved on to other naughty behaviors
that are easier on his skeletal frame.

I don't know why Charlie's gait had developed a hiccup since that
adjustment because he doesn't get on our bed anymore, but it clearly
needed to be fixed. The last time I had both hounds adjusted, our
Elsinore had gone for a full year without one, and Dr. Jim said her
alignment needed very little work. So I figured that after six
months, she probably wasn't in need of adjusting this time. She was
quite put out with me for taking Charlie off for a car ride without
her, and Charlie went with me happily like a lamb being led to the
slaughter.

He remembered having been at Lena's house and was delighted to be
invited inside for what appeared to be a social call. Dr. Jim was
running late, so we all enjoyed a nice visit, young Charlie cuddling
up to Lena's friend on the sofa. Then Dr. Jim arrived. Charlie went
over to greet him, tail wagging and a happy look on his face. But
after just a few seconds of being patted by Dr. Jim, we watched it
all come back to Charlie--those memories of Dr. Jim cracking and
snapping all his joints, digging in and twisting his neck and
shoulders, and pulling his tail hard. As realization swept across
Charlie's face, he jumped back from Dr. Jim, dropped his tail and
ears, and gave him a hard, unfriendly look. Everyone laughed because
it was so obvious that Charlie remembered EVERYTHING and was
forgiving NOTHING.

I pulled out the muzzle and snapped it on. Dr. Jim plays mandolin in
a band, and I don't want it to be my basset who chomps off his
fingers and ends his musical career. Charlie was furious about being
muzzled, put on the dining room table, and adjusted, but Dr. Jim is
used to getting mean looks from some of his clients. This time the
adjusting didn't take nearly as long, and when it was over and
Charlie had had a good shake to settle everything in its right place,
his gait was as smooth and even as it should be. Dr. Jim gave him a
treat, which Charlie took, but it was clear the treat wasn't mending
any of the many fences Dr. Jim has broken with Charlie.

When we got home, Ken greeted me with the announcement that a
neighbor had just called and said the police were at my mother's
house just around the corner. That didn't bode well. Then another
neighbor came over to make sure I'd gotten the other neighbor's
message. Our Elsinore went into her crate quickly, but young Charlie
was out in the backyard. I didn't want to take any more time trying
to get my pokey puppy inside and crated, so I raced out with a leash
and Ken, and the three of us hurried down the alley to my mother's
backyard. Well, Ken and I hurried. Charlie wasn't feeling the
urgency. I wound up dragging him behind me, probably undoing all the
good aligning that had just happened to him.

To be continued.....

Elizabeth