[Dailydrool] Best Day for Bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:14:14 PST 2011

Our house sits on a cement slab. In those slabs are water pipes for radiant
heat. This is fine but the places were built after WW2, and those pipes are
starting to spring leaks. When they do, it forces the water up through the
cement slab, cracking the slab and causing a puddle in, like, the hallway.
In our case. Where the water comes up, does not mean that is where the leak
it. So taking a pnuematic drill and pulling up the floor is just about THE
LAST THING in the world you want to do, as you may end up pulling up the
whole floor.
It is also difficult to put in duct work for forced air, altho it can be
done.
The Bassets, of course, love the heated floor.
At night, Llewis drags his bed over one of the pipes: they know where
everything is.
But we have a couple of leaks.
Now there is some stuff that they can squirt into the pipes to plug the
holes. It doesn't always work, but we had it done about 6 mos ago and then
the thing started leaking again. We have towels and rugs specifically set
aside for this.
So the guy came out again today and treated the pipes. Afterwards, we have
to run the heat until it is about 90 degrees in here. Uh Hunh....BASSET
HEAVEN.
Usually they are on the chairs and couches and so on, but today the floor
was covered with delighted, snoring Bassets. Moving them was not an option.
The hotter it got, the happier they were. Poor Cooper was crunched in a
corner by the back door where the floor is unheated. He begged me to turn my
heater down to 30 degrees. He went outside and slept on the deck. The
Bassets would rush out, pee, and rush in again, jostling for a space over a
superheated pipe.
What a tough life.

MomPerson to Nigel (well done) Llewis (Well done) Conley (Medium well done)
Cooper (rare.)