[Dailydrool] Teeth and stuff

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 09:48:57 PST 2011

I know this subject has been discussed to death, but I will add my two cents for what it's worth.  My first two girls, Sassy and Daisy, had the worst teeth I have ever seen.  Their gums were bad along with their teeth.  When they were about 6 months old I noticed their gums were bleeding and freaked out.  We went to the vet and needed a teeth cleaning.  They gave me a price and I left them there.  When I came to pick them up, they only charged about $16 for both.  When I asked why, they said they did it without anesthesia.  The girls were so good about letting them stick their hands in their mouths that they did it with them awake.  Those girls just had bad teeth.  No matter what I did or what they ate, they always had baddish teeth.  I had them cleaned at least once a year but really couldn't afford more often than that.  The first one was the only cheap one.  I got yelled at by a vet once for never having their teeth cleaned.  They had had many cleanings.  Just always bad.  Sassy eventually had to have 13 teeth pulled but was fine with eating dry food.  They are very resiliant. They will adapt.

None of my girls now have such bad chompers.  They do get lots of biscuits and dry food.  Maggie likes to help herself when the pantry door is open.  There is a big box so she can get what she wants  We try not to let that happen.  Even the cats like dog biscuits.  I caught Picasso in the box helping himself.  I think he really wanted to play in the box.  If I tell the girls they can have a treat, they come sit close to the pantry door where the treats are.  The boys(cats) come sit on the table and wait for their treats too.  I keep cat treats in the pantry too.  We aren't spoiled or anything.   I used to give the girls bones to gnaw on but Maggie was really mean and wanted all the bones.  Had to stop that because of the fights.  Maggie is the sweetest girl.  She is a really big doofus.  She has the biggest head of any dog I have ever seen.  Looks like a boy.  Is goofey and sweet until she meets a bone.  Then she becomes CUJO.  Maybe a crate would be the answer.

Sending drool to all in need.
Julie with Ninja, Marleyl, Maggie and Shelby with the wild, treat eating kitty boys