[Dailydrool] Update on Belle

carla kleinschmidt mshounddog at wowway.com
Tue Jan 18 08:32:28 PST 2011

Hello, fellow droolers

Well, Belle, the rescue pup from Guardian Angel, is settling in nicely.  She's been here a little over a week now.  My Mom came down recently to spend a few days with me.  Belle was very scared of her and showed her disapproval with barking and a low growl.  I had to go to choir practice, so that left Mom with Belle alone in the house.  Unfortunately, Belle took that time to stare and bark at Mom.  She would run out the doggie door and bark and then come back in and stare at Mom and bark.  Mom had no idea what to do, so she put up with that for an hour.  When I got home she growled at Mom and I gave her a sharp "NO!"  She stopped immediately.  Later she let Mom pet her some.  Then with no warning, Belle grabbed Mom's pajama top and took it out the doggie door.  I caught her on the deck, and she gave it up easily.  The next morning, she tried to have her way with the bottoms.  This morning when I first got up, I went to the bathroom.  When I came out, I was greeted by a large amount of pee in the living room.  I couldn't imagine why she would have done that, since she has used the doggie door since day one.  Then, I looked out and discovered the reason:  it was raining out.  Jan from Guardian Angel had warned me she didn't like the rain.  I cleaned it up without protest, because I didn't catch her in the act.  Then I went outside and urged her to come out too.  She didn't want to, but she finally did come out and then she pooped.  I'm a little worried what she will do when I return to work and it rains.  I may have a mess or two to clean up.  She's way worth the trouble though.  Maybe I should gate her in the kitchen when it's raining and I work.  What do you all think?

Carla K. and Belle in Indiana