[Dailydrool] Sleeping with dogs...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 16:31:03 PST 2011

 Michele, you beat me to the punch with your comments on infections and allergies.  I strongly believe that the increase in childhood asthma and allergic reactions to so many foods is because of parents' need to be uber clean.  Back in the day when my kids were little - and in dinosaur times when I was a kid - we played in the dirt making mud pies, stuck our fingers in forbidden tar "bubbles," shared popsicles with friends and family and slept with the windows open, letting in pollen...oh dear!  I had miserable mid-August through first killing frost hay fever but outgrew it as I eventually became desensitized to it each fall.  We kids washed up before meals...most of the time.  No one ever sterilized our toys, etc. and we got our share of sneezed and coughed on.  As a result, although I have fibromyalgia, I have an overall healthy immune system as long as I eat healthfully, get enough sleep, and fit in some exercise each day.  Walkies several times a day fits the bill just fine!

Healthy bacteria is necessary to keep the nasty guys under control!  Kill off the normal, day-to-day stuff and the first time your immune system comes upon ANY germ/bacteria it's going to overreact in a BIG way.  I seldom take antibiotics for this reason.  God forbid I really need them I want them to work!  I'll take houndie kisses and snuggles any day over bacterial soap. Even if a bit "Frito-ish" they smell a whole lot better, LOL.

Pam, LOVED your missive on staying away from children for the same reason...far easier to "catch" something from them.  Ask any sleep=deprived parent of young children...

Sandi, Mamaslave to four germ-laden hounds, the NJ4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley