[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Sunday Evening

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sun Jul 3 17:00:48 PDT 2011

I just got home from spending several hours with Pat.  She is peaceful and
pain-free.  Her level of awareness is less today.  She didn't respond to me
brushing her hair or cleansing her face with her favorite facial wipes.  The
nurse told me that when they bathed her, she didn't open her eyes this
afternoon.  Her respiration is even and unlabored at about 20/minute but it
is a bit shallower than yesterday.  Her urine output in diminished greatly.
Her heartbeat is steady and strong.  But she is moving closer.
While I am there I always talk to her about the dogs, what they are doing,
reassuring her that everyone is okay and eating and happy.  Today I told her
that Quizmo went to his new home in KY and Quincey was adjusting to his
brother being gone.  I told her how I was starting to integrate Quincey in
with the big dogs and how that was progressing.  I reassured her that Ouija
was being very good and loved playing with Quincey with the other girls.
Then I told her how much I have learned from her, how precious her
friendship has been to me, how much I will miss her and love her and that it
was okay to go whenever she is ready.  I named all of the dogs we have lost
through the years and reminded her that they will meet her at the Bridge
when she is ready, so she won't have to be basset-less.  Of course . I cried
some . but it was time I had this conversation with her.
This part of the journey is peaceful for her . for us it is difficult.

Sandi & the Red Bay Bassets
   One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
   but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
   Proverbs 18:24