[Dailydrool] oh my Dog!!!

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 5 15:53:00 PDT 2011

Hi all .... very grateful momPerson here,

Now that may sound strange considering I just finished shampooing my rugs.
 Which I had to do after I mopped my hardwoods with a vinegar and water
solution.  OK ... let me start backing up.

Right after breakfast this morning Snoopy lifted his leg on my hardwoods in the
kitchen by the penninsula.  I told him NO we go potty outside but I knew why he
did it.  He did it because Cyrus soaked the rug in the living room just on the
other side of the door to the kitchen and he was telling me if Cyrus had the
place marked he was following suit.  Cyrus didn't do it on purpose though.
 Cyrus scared the H@#L out of me!!!

Now some of you may remember that Cyrus is a gun shy hunting dog ... he HATES
ANYTHING that goes boom.  And reacts INTENSELY by barking and charging around.
 The vet prescriped Acepromazine (25 mg) years ago for new years and 4th of
July.  We usually shut all windows and doors (including the dog door), turn on
the air conditioning and other white noise and give him a first pill around
8:30.  If needed we give a second one around 10:30.  Last night we didn't need
it.  Both dogs did some barking and some running but we were able to calm them
without much ado.  About 11 o'clock we went to bed with both dogs.  I woke about
1:30 and went down the hall for a cold drink.  Both dogs followed me.  And
that's when it happened.

Cyrus got this strange look on his face and his legs just went out from under
him ... wide .... like a straddle (front and back) and then he lurched over onto
his side (his bladder emptied in the process) and was not aware of me.  No
motion, nothing, just the rise and fall of his chest telling me he was
breathing.  I RAN for Greg who came back with me and we didn't try to move Cyrus
... just sat on the floor stroking him and talking to him.  After more than 5
minutes I got up to call an emergency vet when Cyrus heaved himself back up
(still laying on the floor but no longer out cold on his side).  Snoopy was as
frantic as Greg and I were but he was giving Cyrus space ... stayed a few feet
from him and kept watch.  Well .... I got a towl and dried the rug as best I
could and about 10 minutes later Cyrus heaved himself to his feet and walked
back to bed and jumped back onto our VERY high bed and went back to sleep.  This
morning he ate a full breakfast and has been normal and fine all day.  Snoopy
has been VERY lovey with him

So ... that is why I am a grateful momPerson.  I REALLY don't want to haul Cyrus
down to the vet and run up $100s in blood work and all so I haven't called.  I
am thinking that he had a bad reaction to this drug (Cyrus is 7 now) and we
should get something else for the next fireworks.

Any advice?  I've ordered a thundershirt for him but it hasn't come yet.

Thanks (and thank Dog)
Dale