[Dailydrool] Pat Final Update - Tuesday Evening

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Tue Jul 5 16:39:56 PDT 2011

Pat died at 10:17 AM today.
Last night, after I left, Nancy stayed awhile with Pat and was trying to
figure out why she was hanging on even though it was clear that her body was
ready.  Nancy knew that I had reassured her about the dogs, I had told her
it was okay to go, that I would take care of everything.  Then it dawned on
Nancy . Pat was concerned about me.  So Nancy told her that she would make
sure that I was okay and that she would take care of me.
I woke up at 4 AM (and I NEVER wake up in the middle of the night) . I got
up and called Hospice.  The nurse told me that Pat was declining but death
was not imminent yet.  I tried to go back to sleep but that wasn't
happening.  I finally got back up at 6:30 AM and started to get dogs out
when the phone rang.  It was Hospice and they said Pat's respiration was
slowing dramatically.  I quickly called the vet's office to change a 9 AM
appointment for Opie to late in the day, took a quick shower and was on my
way before 7 AM.  I called our friend Nancy (who has been coming to see Pat
on all of her days off work) and she was just leaving her house (about an
hour away).  I arrived at Hospice at about 7:40 AM (morning rush hour
traffic).  Nancy arrived about 8:30 AM.  Pat steadily declined over the next
hour or so.  She received some additional medication to ease her breathing
and about 45 minutes later, she simply drew her last breath as Nancy and I
each held her hands and told her how much we valued her friendship and love
her.  She was very peaceful and pain-free.
According to Pat's wishes, there will be no funeral services, visitation and
interment will be private and her dogs ashes will be buried with her.  Pat
always told me that she didn't want anyone looking at her or crying over her
. she wanted us to celebrate her life and remember her with smiles and
laughter.  So that is what we will do.  On Sunday, July 17th, we will be
having a Pat Memorial Celebration from 6 - 7 PM at my home . very informal
.. potluck style . with our dogs in attendance . in one of Pat's favorite
places (my back yard).  We will also be having a similar celebration of
Pat's life at the Canfield Ohio Dog Show at our set up . I don't know date
and time on that yet, but anyone interested in attending either event can
email me for directions etc.
Thank you all again for your concern, prayers and love throughout this
painful journey.  It has been a great comfort and help to me.  I was as
prepared as I could be since I watched it unfold over the past 4 weeks ..
But it is still surreal and I have, and always will have, a huge void in my
life where Pat resided.  She was the person I could call at anytime --- day
or night - and I knew she would come and do whatever needed to be done.  And
I was the same for her.  I wish all of you a friendship like Pat and I
enjoyed for the past 22 years . it is a once in a lifetime experience.  We
were true kindred spirits, sisters of the heart.  I lost her companionship
three weeks ago . and I miss her terribly.

Sandi & the Red Bay Bassets
   One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
   but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
   Proverbs 18:24