[Dailydrool] Senior Houndsabound--Scarlet's Memorial Fund Update

Julie Wince jbug99999 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 16:13:23 PDT 2011

Kasey and I visited Senior Houndsabound on Saturday and delivered the
contributions to Scarlet's Memorial Fund we had received thus far, plus our
contributions.  They were having a Buff & Puff event where volunteers
converged to bathe all of the hounds.  It was our first volunteer experience
with them and I assure you it will NOT be our last.  We had an amazing day!
There are some glorious seniors living in the most amazing home with Wendie.
The house isn't huge and isn't on acreage, it's on a street in a
neighborhood in Orlando, but somehow with dedication and expertise, they
keep things neat, clean, and organized.  I knew from Deborah's post last
month that they had an indoor bathing station, thank goodness, but I was not
prepared for the organization and communication.  I've never experienced a
rescue so organized!  Although it was our first event, we were welcomed and
treated like a member of the family.  In fact, there was a sign on the front
door that said something to the effect of, "If you're here for Buff & Puff,
DO NOT KNOCK, come on in!  If not, beware of the 17 Cujo dogs inside."  LOL
We obeyed the sign and entered without knocking, and were welcomed by a
steady trickle of senior hounds and finally some two leggers.  =)

Kasey and I brought a Dremel and helped on nail duty.  Our first "victim"
was Valentine and she was such a love bug!  I know they had to think Kasey
and I were a little special since it took us SO LONG to finish her, but we
couldn't help but love on her!  Kasey brushed her while I did her nails.  I
think Deborah bathed her in the master bath, but I'm not sure, since the
"small" ones went into a huge 3 or 4 foot wall-mount perfect-height
stainless steel sink.  I think we did about 5 of the 17, so we were
definitely the slow pokes, but it was hard not to love on them!

After we finished buffing and puffing, they had a lunch and chat session.
Kasey and I hung out on the floor and continued our love sessions.  First up
for me was Noah.  He lost one eye to glaucoma, but compensates very well.
They believe he is 13-14 years old, but he has a thick, luxurious coat and
is a handsome gentle-hound.  Kasey was loving on a steady stream of hounds,
who were pushing one another out of the way for his affection.  Duchess gave
Duke an ear full and forced his hasty exit so she could have Kasey's
undivided attention.  Later, Willow pushed Duchess out of the way, and then
Freddie (aka Eddie, because Wendie has a phobia against Bassets named Fred!)
became the center of attention for him.  Soon, Valentine (deaf, but
beautiful!) came to visit me, and Noah was perturbed to share, so he gave up
the other half of his bed and sought another volunteer's affection.  It was
quite entertaining!  We met Suzy, who is completely blind, but gives no
indication of such.   There were so many amazing hounds, it's hard to name
them all without putting you to sleep, so I'll stop..

Please know that this is an amazing organization, that focuses only on
seniors.  Scarlet's Memorial Fund is ear-marked for those seniors with eye
problems, which would include the amazing Noah (and many others!).  Scarlet
would be very proud of the work they are doing and I know she's hanging out
at the bridge smiling.  Thank you all so much for supporting this great
rescue in her honor!   www.seniorhoundsabound.org/

Julie and Lady Bug