[Dailydrool] Pills and other things

Julie Haegele jules56pt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 20:22:24 PDT 2011

We have given a lot of pills to a lot of bassets in the last 28 years.  The
first two took theirs by having them placed on the back of their tongues and
stroking their throats until they swallowed.  They were so gentle that they
had their teeth cleaned without anesthesia.  Then we got the basset from
hell.  Sunny was the nastiest, meanest dog imaginable.  Someone mistreated
her terribly and she never forgot.  She also never met a pill she would
take.  She could suss out a pinhead size pill in a 2 inch glob of anything.
I think she only took about half of the pills we gave her.  I would find
them in corners and under shelves days later.  She was a pip.  Sometimes
cream cheese worked, braunscheiger was good and peanut butter but nothing
worked consistently.  She could get all of the good stuff and none of the
pill better than any animal I have ever met.  The girls we have now are so
good.  They love cream cheese and peanutbutter, and anything they probably
shouldn't be eating.  If it is meaty or cheesey they will eat it.

We are all snoozing right now.  There were thunder boomies this afternoon
and Maggie went nuts as usual.  It didn't last long so all is good now.  I
was upstairs at the time.  Shelby doesn't do stairs.  Her legs are too, too
short.  She started bellowing and I thought she was lonely.  She probably
was but she also needed to go outside.  Poor thing, she was telling me she
made a mess.  Shelby tells us when she does things.  No hiding or cowering
for this old girl.  She announces her mess and then goes and takes a nap.
She is a great old girl.

While the thunder storm was booming, the DH came home from work and came
upstairs and laid down for a few minutes.  Maggie was doing her off the wall
thing but Ninja was more surprising.  She climbed up on the DH and laid down
like a cat.  The cats do this to me from time to time.  Ninja has never done
this to me or anyone else.  It was funny.  Probably not so much for the DH
who had 62 pounds of basset laying on his chest.  I wonder if she has been
watching the cats.  They mostly ignore each other.  Right now she is next to
me in her usual spot.  I have no idea why she is My girl or I am her human,
None of the other bassets has devoted themselves to me like she has.  It is
very special to be loved like that.

We hope everyone has a great weekend and we are sending drool and snooters
to all in need.

Julie with Ninja-the Diva Queen Empress Coot, Marley-the Crabby Troll Coot,
Maggie-the not quite a coot yet, and Shelby-the Supreme Lumpy Old Cootess