[Dailydrool] Glaucoma

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Tue Jun 7 05:52:16 PDT 2011

Unfortunately, we have experience with this awful disease with our Browser,
age 7.  The likelihood of the second eye being affected is extremely high
and we warded it off for a year with the eye drops.  They are very expensive
(around $40- $80 for a small bottle and we had three we used at a time).
 These are meds for people.  We tried ordering from Canada Drugs but the
prescription was not exactly the same and so we just bought from the
pharmacy. Pet insurance does not cover anything with glaucoma (at least VPI
does not).

On the positive side, Browser has been totally blind for two years now and
it does not stop him one bit.
His lively and adorable personality remains and most of the time, people do
not even know he is blind.

Our vet opthamologist used a procedure with a needle that killed the cells
which make the fluid in the eye but preserved both eyes.  We do not use any
drops and one eye looks perfect and one has changed color slightly.  We see
her twice a year just to have her check the eyes.

This all was much harder on us than on Browser and we were told not to let
him see us depressed.  We were careful about this but it was very hard.  He
is living a normal life and takes his walks and plays with other dogs just
like when he was sighted.  Fortunately, we live in Florida so he does not
have to contend with stairs but am sure he would adapt to that as well.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.  You are doing a
wonderful thing by adopting this basset and I do not think you will regret
it.

Sally Russell, Pixel and Browser