[Dailydrool] My dog has no integrity.

Thompson, Joey Joey.Thompson at bcbsne.com
Tue Jun 7 08:37:27 PDT 2011

I have a Basset for 3 years now, raised from a pup.  I have trained her well to sit, stay, not yours etc..  I use treats and when I need to I use the alpha roll when she is out of control.

When I am around, she will obey my commands and be good.  When no one is looking, she is naughty.  I have some small trees on the porch and she knows they are "not yours".  However, sometimes she will mess with them and eat the organic fertilizer pellets. When I come out to get her I know she has messed with them because she hunkers down, drags her head, etc because she knows I will get mad.

She's a smart dog, if I am grilling, each individual item I must point at and say "not yours".  I forgot to say "not yours" on an oven mit I put out there and she thought it was fair game.  My fault!

How do I get my dog to behave when I am not around?    Because of this, she spends a lot of time in the kennel and we have yet to let her be a "house dog" where she runs free in the house because she just gets into everything if no one is watching.  I'd like to get her to be able to be left out alone knowing she will follow the rules.    I know they cant always be left out but we have to keep her kenneled if we cant watch her every minute.  I'd like to be able to leave her our while we are home and knot have to constantly police her.

I understand maybe if I had her out enough she would get bored and stop trying to explore, but what I am talking about is her getting into the trash and stuff which she will only do if no one is looking.    She wont do it while being watch but if you leave the room she goes quick!

A few other notes:
She is kept out side and in her kennel mostly because of the above.
We feed her once a day except treats we give through out the day.
Shes smaller than most bassets, under 30  lbs.
3-4 years old.
She walks great and is well trained though another time she gets out of control is when people come to visit us at our house.  Out in public though she does very well.

DISCLAIMER
This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are reading this message, but you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not disclose, print, copy, store, forward or otherwise use or disseminate the information contained in this transmission. If you have received this message in error, immediately contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original. Thank you.