[Dailydrool] Lucy

Ursula Kramer rodurs at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 05:51:29 PDT 2011

We had the honor of looking after Miss Lucy after her owner passed away last year. She was the smallest Basset
 in our home with the biggest attitude. The day that Nancy from OBHR
brought her over all I could think was what have we gotten into with
her. Lucy barked and snarled at my other two Bassets,
 I guess she decided that she had to take charge. During the past year
and a half that she stayed with us we failed fostering her and came to
love her very much. She had always been uncomfortable with anyone
touching her back, probably arthritis. About two weeks ago she started
having problems walking so our Vet put her on meds and we waited to see
if they would help. She rebounded a little and we thought we had bought
some more time for her. Yesterday when the other two went for their
afternoon walk she wanted to join them but barely made it to the end of
our
 driveway (less than ten feet) and had to be carried back inside as she
was too exhausted to walk in herself.  This morning it took her three
attempts to make it to the kitchen for breakfast, she still ate with
enthusiasm but was too tired when she was done to walk away from her
bowl. We took her over to her Vet and lovingly sent her to the bridge at
 10am this morning. Even at the end she went on her terms, being loved
by her foster mom and dad and grumbling at the Vet staff. Lucy, we will
miss you but you reminded us why we will continue to foster older
Bassets.

Your Friend in Bassets,

Ursula