[Dailydrool] Small Bassets

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 04:51:01 PDT 2011

We had a purebred Basset girl come into rescue with severe pnuemonia at ten
weeks old. When we got her she had been in the hospital in Lawrence for a
month with severe pnuemonia and was just recently well enough to come into
rescue. After we got her she had to remain on antibiotcs for three more
months. She was very small for a basset but very healthy after getting
through he sickly beginning. She weighed 35 lbs and was very petite but
fully grown at two years old. She was small but very healthy and well loved.
She recently was adopted and has a great home.Smaller Bassets are quite
expensive here in Missouri the puppy mill capital of the world so many
millers interbreed the smaller Bassets till they get small litters. I must
have missed something on the drool and am sorry someone flamed another
drooler about her bassset being small there are small bassets out there. In
fact we recently got one from the Kansas City Animal Control that weighed 28
lbs very small and two weeks later she gave birth to a litter of puppies! We
are seeing Bassets shrinking smaller and amaller all the time here. More and
more apartment dwellers prefer the smaller breeds so puppy millers do their
best to supply. UGH!