[Dailydrool] acupuncture for dogs

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:20:53 PDT 2011

Carol
I would absolutely try acupuncture for Rocky.  We have always used both
acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments on all of our dogs.  Most
recently Radar had a bout of gastroenteritis and he had three sessions
of acupuncture to help calm his system.  Last October when he had bloat
issues he had treatments then as well.  Our Malamute had treatments on
her back too.
It's important that the dog remains calm/quiet after the needles are
inserted.  We found this last time that Radar does better on the table
instead of the floor.  Our vet turns down the lights and has this
ocean/beach scene playing on a TV (I guess this is for the parents
benefit!).  Dr. Connie always counts and makes sure I know how many
needles she has used because we have to count again as they are removed
to make sure Radar doesn't go home with any tucked up in his lose skin.
His last treatment we were missing one and had to search a few times
over him before we found it in a fold on his arm.  She also got a good
laugh when she went to put one in his belly button and came up with a
big clump of belly button lint!!  After the treatment our dogs have
always been subdued, quiet and sleep most of the rest of the day.   It
usually takes several treatments to see improvements but if acupuncture
is available to you I would definitely pursue it for Rocky.
Good luck,
Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Mollie the Bloodhound