[Dailydrool] Upset with Vet over Meds for Rosie

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:41:58 PDT 2011

HELP!   My Vet has me very upset, confused and concerned.   As I explained, Rosie was diagnosed with a "Severe" Kidney infection about 2 weeks ago and our Vet prescribed "Zeniquin".  No problem, expensive drug but if she needs it, she'll get it.  Well he gave us 7 pills to get us on a "broad spectrum" antibiotic until her Urine culture came back.  After taking the med for 7 days, I called the Vet to see if her culture came back and he explained that the Lab had a delay and he would extend her Zeniquin 7 more days since I told her she was doing better.  My hubby picked up the meds and when he came home I looked at them - TOTALLY different looking pill.  I checked the bottle of both, both read "Zeniquin 100mg" yet this one is peach colored and large oval.  The prior pill was much smaller, reddish/brown colored, same shape but aboutr 1/6th the size of this "Zeniquin".  Of course I called the Vet, he's gone the Pharmacy is closed and I'm confused.  A Vet tech gets on the phone and asks all the "I'm dealing with a stupid person" questions:  "are you sure you're not confusing her med?", "Do you have any of the other meds on hand?"  Well no, I'm not confusing her meds, she was given Zeniquin and Rimadyl (different bottles, different appearance).  He then tells me that he doesn't know what to tell me as the Dr. is gone for the weekend and the Pharmacy Mgr. is also gone.  I ask him to check the Pharmacy log to make sure what they gave her was Zeniquin the first time.  He goes to the Pharmacy and tells me the log show Zeniquin and he can tell me that I definitely was given Zeniquin the second time.  Alright then, what was the first med I was given?  Doesn't know.  I then went to the web to look up "Zeniquin" and yes, the 2nd script matches the description.

This morning I call and get the pharmacy Mrg. and she tells me that she logged Zeniquin on the first script and can't imagine what the med I was describing for the 1st script was UNLESS it was a generic and she will call the mfr. to get a description.  I asked her to give the Dr. ANOTHER message that I want him to call me.  Her culture is still not it and it's been 10 days now.

I'm so concerned that this could happen at a top-notch Vet's office.  Rosie is well, nothing bad has happened but I can't help but wonder what they gave her.  I hate not knowing, not getting answers.

Does anyone have experience with Zeniquin or it's generic form?