[Dailydrool] dadslave

Mr Shannon R Gerdel bassethoundbutler at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:31:48 PDT 2011

Linda,
My heart is breaking for you! And even more for your husband. Have you asked
the folks at the hospital if the boys could go and visit him?

I had a pulmonary embolism about 3-4 months after we got Boomer. I was moved
to the telemetry unit to be monitored for several days. My nurse asked me
why I was so sad. I told her that I missed my Boomers, my new Basset Hound
'puppy'. She asked me if Boomer was up to date on his shots. I told her that
he was. She said that he was welcome to come and visit. Needless to say that
Boo was picked up from the house and brought to my bedside almost
instantaneously. Everyone of my nurses just loved him. "Oh, he's so CUTE." I
have just started to tell them that "CUTE" is what keeps him alive after
committing an act of Bassetsanity.....

The nurse came by and asked my daughter if she would take Boomer to see some
of the other people that knew there was a dog there, and wanted to see him.
Of course we shared the presence of our long eared galoot. The payoff was
yet to come.....

An elderly woman that was a visitor in the room directly across the hall
came to our room in tears. She said that when her husband saw Boomer, he
just smiled and laughed. She said that she husband had not smiled in weeks.
The power of an animal to help us heal physically and emotionally is
incredible. It's worth asking about. If they say no, because of where your
husband is located, ask them if there is any part of the hospital that you
can allow the boys to visit your husband.

Lots of prayers and Tanker loads of Drool are on the way..

Mr. Shannon R. Gerdel
3583 Meadowlark Drive
Casper, WY
82604