[Dailydrool] Need Healing Drool, Prayers and Donations!!!

melissa fenchel mibassetrescue at att.net
Mon Mar 7 09:46:43 PST 2011

Here's the history. Allie...now Ethel, seemed fine when she was adopted from
us by Ryan and Kylie Zink two weeks ago yesterday. They did report she
seemed "laid back" which did not seem to fit the personality we knew. She
was typically a very active, happy, playful one year old basset girl. So we
reasoned that she was adjusting, possibly depressed since her whole life,
she had lived with her family....her mom, dad, two brothers and her sister
Anna. They lived outside in a pen, totally neglected until MBR got them, but
they always had each other. Her brother's collar was imbedded in his neck
when we got him. The rest had to have their collars cut off. Too filthy and
gross to try and undo.
Kylie took Ethel into the vet for pre op blood work prior to being spayed.
(she couldn't be spayed before now due to having an upper respiratory
infection). The blood work showed her liver values to be "off". This vet
suspected "Liver Shunt Disease" and scared her new parents and all of us to
death...until we did research on the web and found this couldn't possibly be
the case....So we all put our heads together and decided to let her be for a
while...let her adjust to being an only dog... Maybe she is just depressed..
Sandi brought one of her bassets over for a play date hoping that would
cheer her up...she did play a little, but..... .then she got sicker....on to
another vet (Sandi's vet). By now she can't stop vomiting and she is
becoming lethargic, she is trembling. She is hospitalized (over a week ago
now) and treated for Lepto. Many tests, ultrasounds, etc. She is still very
sick and we re afraid we are losing her. Kylie and Ryan visited her more
than once every day as did Sandi. (Many tears were shed). We thought keeping
her stimulated by visiting her might keep her from slipping away. She was
kept in the isolation ward due to her illness. Ethel was put on two pain
killers and two types of anti nausea medication just to keep her comfortable
 It was hard to tell if she was horribly lethargic and unresponsive due to
the drugs or the illness. Either way...not good. Her urine is dark...even
though she is on fluids....she is also very jaundiced. She is in renal and
liver failure at this point and we don't have a clue why!!
Titer tests came back negative for Lepto (still not 100% proof that it's not
Lepto....).
Every tail wag or head lift at this point becomes a reason to celebrate.
Ethel is being tube fed a liquid diet and seems to be getting a tiny bit
stronger.
We don't know at this point, what her medical bills will be but we are sure
they will be VERY VERY Expensive!!! She has been under 24/7 care,
hospitalized in "Critical" condition!!
Today, 3-7-2011...we are hearing hopeful news. Her liver values are coming
down, her liquid diet is being increased and she is much brighter. She is
being taken off pain medication and she is starting to complain about her
situation...Good News!! When the vet was asked..."Do you think she has
turned the corner?" The answer was..."She is AT the corner"....so we are
still hoping and praying for her FULL recovery. Her new parents have fallen
so in love with her and they want to take her home.

After living most of her life in deplorable conditions, it only seems fair
that now she should be allowed to enjoy a life she, up to now, knows nothing
about...a life of being happy, healthy, loved and spoiled, absolutely
rotten!! It just isn't fair to lose her now....without her having gotten to
enjoy the better things in life. That is why we just couldn't give up on her
...we were told by the vets that "This will be a long and expensive road"...
what choice did we have? How could we pull the plug? We just said we are in
for the long haul and we'll figure out how to pay for it later. So now we
are asking for your help. Her vet bill is now in the Thousands....she's
definitely worth it!

Thanks So Much
MBR

Michigan Basset Rescue