[Dailydrool] Naughty Girls/Bassets

Gail Blann gail at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 7 10:21:30 PST 2011

No, Debbie, you don't have the only basset who has the unique distinction of
eating a picture off the wall behind the sofa!  Ours did a few years ago.
Absolutely mutilated the wooden frame.

Katy waits until I get home from work (people staying with us have verified
this) and then she will start getting into things because she knows that
rather than chase her (because she can - and does- do the basset 500 way
faster than I can) that she will receive a treat along with a scolding
(which, of course, she totally ignores).  She doesn't even run outside
anymore - she just stands by the dog door until she sees her treat.  If you
don't have a treat in your hand then she will go out and run with it.  If
you ignore her she will bring it back inside and shake it around so that she
s sure you know she has it before running away with it again.

We adopted Rocco (an owner relinquish) a little over a year ago.  He's not
quite as mischievous as she is (we believe he was mistreated) but she has
taught him a lot.  He is a lot braver now than he was when he arrived.

Katy is also the absolute best counter cruiser to ever grace our home.  She can reach anything!