[Dailydrool] Snoopy at the DP

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 16:18:59 PDT 2011

 never carry treats inside the dog park. That is how you start a dog riot.

Other than that, keeping in mind that I am not a trainer, this is what I
think I would try:
 Take him to the dog park a few times without his bodyguard. You may think
he doesn't know he has back-up, but he does. Trust me.
 The INSTANT he starts that nonsense get him out of the park. This means you
have to be right there with him, and he better have a collar, because you
are going to leash him, tell him very sternly BEHAVE and frog-march right to
the car and home.
 Try this for several days in a row, bothersome tho it may be.
 Then: if he continues doing it, or even if he gets in another dog's face
without the ahrooing, march him out and put him the car and drive around the
block a few times till he settles. Try again. If it continues to happen more
than twice-- go home.
 You get the idea.
Each day try a couple more times. Every misbehave gets him hauled out and,
eventually, home. The message you want to send is:
Play Nice or Not At All.

If you get him to settle down when he is there, especially when he arrives
(He may be a bit intimidated by the other dogs on his arrival. If you think
this is possible, walk him close to the fence on the outside for a few
minutes before you go in, unless it makes him worse. You have to kind of try
it out, I guess).
Eventually you can add the Lab to the mix. See how it works.
I, personally, am not a fan of dog parks for a number of reasons. I owned
one of those I AM KING dogs-- Cooper. But he was two and being shown and
intact. The second time he went after the Alpha Husky in the park, I yanked
his butt outta there and kept it out. It didn't seem right to me to not only
risk a fight but make everyone else there uncomfortable. Mitchell, also
intact, loved it, bothered no one, and I am sure missed it when we quit
going.
We also have a large number of breeds in this area that I reluctantly do not
trust and frequently do not trust the owners, either.
And there is always one who drops the dog at the Park and runs errands.
I know two people with fine obedience dogs whose dogs have been really torn
up in fights at the dog parks. I just don't go, Conley might be ok but I
wouldn't count on that, either. He's a bit of an egocentric himself.

MomPerson to Nigel (oh no! Other dogs! Hide!) Llewis (I dunno...not
sure....) Conley (PLAY WITH ME RIGHT NOW.) Cooper (Been there, done that,
got sent home.)