[Dailydrool] Poor timing...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 12:38:41 PDT 2011

 A few thoughts on Linda's post and the resulting responses...As cliche as it may be, timing IS everything.  Linda admitted that she had been mulling over her thoughts on private vs. public condolences on the Drool and sadly, she made the mistake of stating her personal opinion at a time when we Droolers were reeling from the very shocking loss of the Drool's very public personna - Pw. Elder Clara.  Debbie's Clara and others, in MY opinion, epitomize what the Drool means to so many of us.  I never met Debbie, nor the renowned Elder Clara but through her stories of keeping da Brudders in line and motoring through her 16th year, helping put out the very important message about rescuing homeless senior hounds, Elder C. became a Drool icon.  Through her antics and illnesses, we laughed, we cried, we held our collective breath that she would survive to continue being what she was, one very special senior hound.  She epitomized what a hound can be; willful, spiteful, snarky, dictatorial, demanding, un-cooperative, worrisome, loving and devoted and, although she might not have mentioned it to her Momma, grateful for a forever home after the mistreatment by other humans who thought of her as "just a dog."

Clara with all her quirks and foibles, reminded us of our own special hounds and what they mean to us.  I remember reading about Debbie "riding the mop" and being glad that here at our house it was only an occasional chore and not a many-times-daily routine.  The "altercations" she had with da Brudders taught me that most of the time, differences can be worked out by "talking" and not being physical.  Her ripe old age gave me hope that our own senior hound, Dozer, would be here, woofing the breakfast and dinner alarm for years to come.  Her coming through some potentially life-threatening illnesses gave me hope that should something bad happen to one of our hounds, with the help of skillful, caring vets and the prayers and drool coming from hundreds of houndies and their slaves, they could survive and thrive.

Was Clara's the only story which touched me?  Not by a long shot.  I read and treasure each and every heartfelt post of love, concern, education and support.  I cry each time I read of ANY Drooler's furbaby going to the Bridge.  Sometimes I send a personal note or email.  Sometimes life doesn't permit this.  But EVERY time it is important.  I think this is the message that those who strongly disagree with Linda was trying to get across.  Reading public condolences to us is as important as reading the happy stuff.  It is what cements this group and what was happening at that particular time was particularly important - to Debbie, to Becky, to any and all of us who have lost a beloved furry friend.  We don't consider them "just dogs" and because no one else here does either, the Drool is our safe place to come to share a common grief.  When this happens, time or space doesn't matter.  Words need to be said...and heard.  Even yours - the timing was just bad.

Sandi, Mamaslave to the NJ4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley