[Dailydrool] FW: Pebbles and the cat

Leah McConnell lmcconnell at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 23 22:23:55 PDT 2011

I have slowly been introducing Pebbles to new experiences in the week she
has been with me. . She has an Auntie Sharon she likes very much who is my
best friend. Last night she was invited to come over with me to catch up on
taped TV shows. Auntie Sharon has a cat named Stella who is used to dogs and
not afraid of them. Last night Pebbles smelled the cat food and took off for
the kitchen. After the cat food was removes, she ate all of it she could
find on the floor. The more she found the more she wanted food. Next she
goes and finds out where the trash is and drags it out from under the sink.
When it is put on the counter, she tries to cruise it. At the point she is
being told no and to come to me. Now all she wants to do is hide . So I get
her and take her home. Tonight I went over there for dinner and to watch a
movie and she goes over with me. First she doesn't want to come in the door.
When she comes in and smells food she heads for the kitchen. Slowly she is
aware that there is another creature around watching her. After a while I
hear her whimpering in the hall and reassure her everything is okay. As time
goes on Stella is getting bolder and getting closer and closer. I hear her
in the hall again and go check on her. I call her to me and she won't come
because Stella is at the other end of the hallway. Then Stella moves away
and Pebbles comes further down the hall. When Stella advances towards her,
she runs to the end of the hall and looks the other way as if the cat
doesn't exist if she doesn't see it. At one point she is whining and
growling. Stella decides she has had enough of this stupid animal and leaves
the hall. At that point Pebbles comes running to me. A variation of this
goes on all evening. Stella weighs all of 5 lbs and Pebbles paw weighs more
than she does. She did settle down some and Stella actually got within a few
inches of her. And all that time, Pebbles just keeps looking the other way
or running to mom. She was very happy to leave. It was the funniest thing I
ever saw - my big 61 Lb houndette scared  of this small cat and turning her
head away so she doesn't see her. What a big goof. Right now she is curled
up on the couch sleeping. She does seem timid in new situations so I am
hoping she will conquer her big fear. She would turn her head away so she
didn't see Stella. Every once in a while I could see her watch Stella out of
the corner of her eye and then quickly avert her eye again. She must believe
if she can't see it, it doesn't exist.

Dis is Pebbles. I led the sheltered life and never seed des creatures before
I came home with Mommy. Dey is scary with der big toothies and claws. Dis
was a big, big magical creature and it stared at me real mean. If I looked
away from dis monster, it went away. It kept looking at me and stalking me.
I am tinking I need a new mommy and auntie. Mommy and Auntie Sharon kept on
laughing at me. Don't they know dis monster could eat me.

Leah