[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore's anniversary

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 12:04:51 PDT 2011

Yesterday we celebrated our Elsinore's seventh anniversary. It was
seven years ago yesterday that we brought her home from Basset Hound
Rescue of Alabama (they knew her as Alexis) to be the worthy
successor to our late Jane Basset, who died the July before. It's
hard to believe we've had Elsinore for seven years. It doesn't feel
that long, and then I think of all the things she and I have done
together in that time--obedience classes, pet therapy work, dance
lessons, waddles, hikes on the Appalachian Trail, wading in the
Atlantic..... Elsinore is not a basset to lie around. She's a do-er
and likes to be kept active, and she especially likes to keep active
with me. Early on she decided she wants to be my heart dog, which is
incredibly flattering.

We're guessing Elsinore is about ten years old now, though she has
the activity level and stamina of a young dog. Until about 8pm. In
the last year she's started putting herself to bed in her crate at
about 8 at night. We can be sitting on the sofa having a lovely time
cuddling, but 8:00 comes, and she gets antsy until I put her down on
the floor. If I don't immediately follow her back to her crate and
give her a bedtime biscuit (to prevent barfing up stomach acid in the
early hours of the morning), she'll leave her crate to come find me
and then dance impatiently at my feet, her dance steps subtly moving
her back in the direction of her crate. She'll come and tell me she's
ready to be in bed several times, with increasing urgency, until I
finally give up and get her biscuit and lock her in her crate. The
amazing and wonderful thing is that she'll stay quietly in her crate
until 7:30 the next morning. When I peek in on her, she's asleep. If
that's the only sign of aging she's showing, she's doing very well
indeed.

We celebrated yesterday with extra attention and a dog friendly
banana-spice cake. We would have done more, but it was chilly and
drizzly all day. Not a great day for a walk. But Elsinore's basset
friend Owen was here to help her celebrate, and that made the day
just fine for her. Elsinore and Owen first met the day after we
brought Elsinore home. The two of them hit it off splendidly and have
really delighted in each other's company from that day on. Of course
the first blush of love doesn't linger long. They've gone from
sharing a crate to grumping at each other, but the affection and bond
are still very evident. It was good that Owen could be here for
Elsinore's special day.

I wonder what this next year will bring for our Elsinore? Only good
things, I hope!

Elizabeth