[Dailydrool] Treating Allergies

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Tue Mar 29 14:01:33 PDT 2011

Yes, some dogs turn into Cujo if given pred.  There are several different forms of prednisone and sometimes one form will make them nuts and another form is just fine.  You might be able to work with your vet on this.  I have had three bassets that we had to be very careful about what form of steroid they were given for the safety of every person and dog in the house.

Treating dust mites is a very complicated and time consuming thing.  Fortunately (?) for my dogs, their mom is very allergic to dust mites and has LOTS of experience dealing with this and I have some resources the human allergist has given me.  First of all pull out the carpeting in the room the dog sleeps in if possible.  If the dog is sleeping in your bed, you need to dust mite proof your bed.  That means a cover for the box springs, matress and all the pillows.  If the dog sleeps in a dog bed, that dog bed needs to be washed weekly.  If the dog sleeps in a crate, everything in the crate needs to be washed weekly.  Hot water is best.  A HEPA filter in the dog's sleeping area will help tremendously.  In addition it makes white noise and we find they sleep better at night.  A HEPA filter vacuum cleaner is also very helpful if you have carpet anywhere.  Visit Allergy Technologies and/or Allergy Asthma Technology have the matress covers.  Plus they have this stuff to treat the carpets.  It is tannin based and kills the dust mites.  If you have white carpet, it won't work because it will stain everything tea colored.  I have never had that problem because who in their right mind would have white carpet and 2-3 bassets? It also works on the stuffed furniture.  You let it sit for how ever long it says to and then vacuuum with the HEPA vacuum.

I was also recently told by my vet who was told by the vet at the allergy testing lab, that dogs that are very allergic should be on a rotation diet.  They should not be fed the same thing all the time, or they will just develop an allergy to the new food.  Unfortunately, I have experienced this with more than one dog.  So, right now one of my dogs eats a bag of Natural Balance Lamb and Rice and then a bag of Addiction Wild Kangaroo and Oat.  The month that he is eating Lamb and Rice I make sure none of his treats have oat in them.  It is fairly simple to make sure that he doesn't get any kangaroo.  The month he is eating Wild Kangaroo and Oat he doesn't get any treats with lamb or rice.  I give him sweet potato fries one month and apple chips the other.  Ideally no food is fed all the time.

Marlene--I would look into the Pro Heart shot for heart worm.  Then Maggie wouldn't be sick for 7 days.  It is a shot and it lasts for 6 months.  No flavors for them to be allergic to.

Not that I am rushing anyone, but at the Bridge there are NO allergies and the pups get to eat what ever they want!  Healing drool to all in need!

Jennifer, mom slave to Beauford (she doesn't even appreciate that I cought a rabbit and I am not allergic to rabbit) and Bugsey (my stick collection is STILL better than yours)