[Dailydrool] That Little Snoopy!!

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 16 10:04:23 PDT 2011

Good Morning,

First off we would like to thank Pam, who offered us advice on our rescued
Basset Snoopy who started Baying at other dogs a couple of weeks after we
brought him home from the pound.  Turns out Pam is right, a human being with
pastrami in their hand is orders of magnitude more important to a basset than
another pesky dog ... he ignores EVERYTHING else when there is pastrami
involved!!  Food huh?

Well, we've always had labs before, we went down to the pound looking for a
companion for our 6 year old Lab Cyrus and came home with an adorable red basset
named Snoopy a couple of months ago.    Snoopy's owner had died and he'd been a
stray for a while (skinny, sick) so he had a few issues, but hey, don't we all.
Cyrus was a little confused at first (what is this thing?  smells like a dog but
... ) but he loves his little brother now.  My two girls adore Snoopy.  I'm
telling you though ... he does the strangest things .... like ...

He makes off with stuff ... all kinds of stuff.  He is forever stealing a teddy
bear off of one of the girls beds, or the TV remote, reading glasses, or
somebody's cell phone .... even clothes.  He doesn't chew stuff up, not even a
scratch, but he is a little borrower and we have to hunt high and low ...
there's a dog door so even the yard, to find our stuff.

He is very snuggly 95% of the time.  The other 5% he will talk nasty to anyone
who tries to snuggle him.  he doesn't bite or snap or anything like that, just
talks nasty.  He's clearly inconvenienced.

Snoopy also door dashes.  Most of the time he doesn't go anywhere ... but twice
now he's picked up a scent and taken off ... both times we got him back the
strangest way ... first time my 11 year old accidently let him out leaving for
the school bus.  I ran for my coat and keys and she took off after him.  But, it
was foggy and he ran out into the street and she was having trouble keeping up
and she knew she shouldn't run out into the street on a foggy morning so she
just started to cry ... and that little Snoopy turned around and came back to
comfort her ... I found them in a neighbors yard with my daughter wrapped around
little Snoopy.

Second time it happened was at night ... a pitch black night.  Of all things we
were teaching Snoopy NOT to door dash and both dogs were in a sit and my husband
opened the door and everything was fine until Snoopy got up from his sit and
DASHED right through the open door into the dark night.  Well ... I looked down
at my Black Lab named Cyrus and out the door into that dark night and said "GO
get Snoopy!!".  Of course my kids and my husband had taken off after Snoopy but
they had no hope to catch him in the dark ... my daughter reports that they saw
a black shadow get in front of Snoopy and stay on his heals all the way back to
the door.  All I saw was my beloved black dog disappear at a dead run into the
night ... and come charging back a few minutes later right behind a VERY naughty
basset with a huge grin.

Snoopy is a pretty good boy.  He doesn't chew, doesn't dig, doesn't bite and
doesn't go potty in the house.  When he made off with a whole stick of butter
off of the counter last week he let me take it back (out of his mouth) without
complaint.  He talks all kinds of stuff though ... makes off with stuff ...
thinks he's the boss ... is this what it's like to be owned by a basset?

I'm new to this so I'm sure I'll have many more questions over the years
(Snoopy's only 5).

More later about our little Snoopy.

--Dale

P.S.  I know this is a bit long winded but there have been so many losses
lately, I thought the ongoing story of a now happy rescue might cheer some a
bit.