[Dailydrool] A modest proposal

Dawn bassetslave at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 02:08:48 PDT 2011

When I saw the title of Linda's post, I was concerned for fear she had been reading her Swift and was going to suggest people actually eat their bassets to avoid them being a burden to their humans or country.

I was quite relieved to see that her 'proposal' was not so extreme, but merely concerned the frivolous use of Drool space in terms of excess bites being wasted on the mourning of beloved canines and the expression of condolences to bereaved family members.

Perhaps the remaining newspapers could do away with those silly old obituaries and death notices, as well that would save valuable paper and webspace. Since potential grieving friends would be unaware of funerals, such silly rituals could also be avoided. Never mind that community sharing of death has been ritual for thousands of years. We must keep in mind Linda's sincere concern for the time of the moderators and lack of interest in such post. Surely it has nothing tondo with her own sensibilities or perception that such posts are tiresome.

While I appreciate that the post did not go so far as the original tongue in flew, "Modest Proposal," I do fear the poster actually meant it. In an attempt to avoid both two unnecessary extra posts in the future and to honor her request to not clutter the Drool with public sentiment, please allow me to say this now. I will be dreadfully sorry when Otis and Nelly someday go to the bridge but will not then have need to post such information.

Ah, but the alternate read on Linda's post is that she does not think our furbabies, particularly dear Clara were worthy of the Drool time. A downright cruel thing to say in general and in specific. Something that is noted, however, not to be dignified with the requested flame because, of course, one should not waste Drool time on unnecessary expressions.

Dawn
 Pleased as punch that Pawtunia's bridge repawt on Clara directly followed the proposal.