[Dailydrool] Abner

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Mar 29 12:45:13 PDT 2011

Thanks so much to everyone who has sent Abner drool. Since I've been working on a project for the Boardwaddle, I have yet to thank everyone personally, but I have not missed your notes concerning drool slinging.

Doug wrote on the Drool:

<<Next, tons of drool and prayers going out to Abner and his slave. I so
hope that some vet can figure out something to do to help with the tumor, and
perhaps do something to ease things for him, so he can have some more
quality time with his slaves. Ben will work extra hard on special drool for
Abner, as it sounds like that except for the large tumor, he is good shape.>>

We appreciate Ben's drool and wanted to give you a bigger picture of Abner's situation. We took Abs to a surgeon about six months ago. The upshot of it was that he could have had an extreme surgery that would have taken out that whole area, including his little boy stuff, or we could just let things go as they might. The extreme surgery might give him six months, the surgeon told us. We said no, which turned out to be what he thought was best too.

It's been about six months, and Abs is still with us. I think we made the right choice. But the surgeon was very clear that the awful surgery was the only alternative. Because the cancerous skin cannot heal, they cannot do more for his skin problem. The tumor had been debulked once, and they knew at that time they could not get everything. A second surgery was all or nothing. Without skin to cover the area, there was no more minor surgery option.

It's true that but for the tumor, Abs is in fine shape. His back is not seriously bothering him. His aggression is pretty minimal. He's almost becoming a sweet dog who even lets me touch the tumor area.

But the bleeding continues. I reminded myself today that a small amount of blood can look really major. I hope that's what's happening here. But I know it is slowly getting worse, and I am concerned. Right now, the tumor covers about a third of the length of his undercarriage. It also touches the floor, thus we use the betllyband. If I could think of something that would fit down there, move with him, and not be too heavy, I would use it. But I have had no brainstorms concerning something that would really suit the problem.

So I am very thankful for the drool that's been flung his way, and I hope you all will continue to hold treats over the hounds' heads to encourage its production. We need your drool.
Thanks so much,
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets