[Dailydrool] Bassets and Automobiles

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 12:40:41 PDT 2011

Once upon a time at a show in Milwaukee I took Mitchell and his crate out
the same time. I was alone. The garage was underground. Of course it was
jammed with SUVs and RVs and the whole bit, and it was late so a lot of
people were leaving.
I carefully put Mitchell's leash under my foot and started loading the crate
into the Van, which meant opening it as well so he would have a place to
ride. I threw in some other stuff, a crate pad, and turned to put Mitchell
in the Van and

HE WAS GONE

I must have leaned forward and my foot came up and released the leash. I
looked around-- no dog. Short legged Mitchell with all these huge Vans
roaring to life and pulling out!!
Screaming LOOSE DOG STOP STOP STOP LOOSE DOG STOP STOP I tore through the
area waving my arms and shrieking at the top of my lungs. To my
astounishment, everyone STOPPED, dead in their tracks, not a soul moved and
I heard doors slamming as other people, people I have never met, leaped out
of their Vans to help me.

Moments later I found Mitchell, having paused to pee on a post (Thank you
Mother Nature for Male dogs!!) and sobbing and laughing I snatched up the
leash and yelled ITS OK I GOTTIM!

And heard people getting back in their Vans and Rvs and Trucks and starting
their engines again, and I walked Mitchell back to the Van and put him in
his crate and that was the very last time I tried to make do with one crate.
Ever after I have carried two-- one set up in the Van and the other for the
show. I have never forgotten. It was a horrible moment, but I was and
continue to be amazed at the people who stopped, and leaped out, ready to
help a perfect stranger. Dog people are great. Like the Drool, we are all of
one mind.
Protect the dogs.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper (who also got loose at a
show-- another story.)